Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Equal Vision's Most Underrated Band

It's nice to be greeting you all via html text. I'm excited to start writing for this sweet little project. Kudos to Anthony for asking me to join the good fight.

The Snake The Cross The Crown has been one of my favorite Equal Vision bands for years. I had the great privilege of playing with Franklin, the songwriter and vocalist, at Valentines many moons ago. Upon meeting him, I found myself caught up in the presence of a real profound artist. He was just one of those people that's hard to forget. Notably so, especially after six or eight PBR's, which he clearly had no problem sharing.
The band has been underappreciated in my book since the beginning. Don't get me wrong, they have toured with a lot of great bands like mewithoutYou and some other modern-day-indie-giants, but are yet to really capitalize on the folk / americana crowd that they so clearly belong in. After their release of Cotton Teeth in 2007 (a great album) they dropped off the map for a little bit. It was announced in September 2009, however, that they were going to be the subject of a documentary called On A Carousel of Sound, We Go Round - filmed by Nicholas Kleczewski. This is a video off of that Documentary. The song is called "In Time." Although it's not their best work in my opinion, it has a real nice mix of classic folk song chord structure and melody with a bit of experimental, indie nuances. I've also added another live video of "The Great American Smokeout," one of my favorite track of of Cotton Teeth. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment